Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Beginning Again

I do enjoy the beginning of the semester when everything is fresh and exciting. It is so wonderful to have the opportunity to begin again every semester, grading period, school year. We are blessed in education to have ebb and flow in what we do. (okay, so the full impact of the semester hasn't really hit me yet)

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend my first presentation of a candidate for the adolescent literacy position. She discussed her study on signifyin(g) in which a white teacher engaged her predominately African-American class by interacting with them as a way to gain trust and build relationships... This presentation really spoke to me as I am a firm believer in the relationship between teacher and student being an essential part of the learning process. In fact, I believe that the most important element in successful human relations anywhere is the making of connections. Huge implications for educators.

I am still thinking about my line of inquiry...reading for deeper meaning in the home. There are so many ways I could take this; my goal this semester is to narrow it down and come up with a concise statement.

New semester, new beginnings.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, was struck by the candidate's passion for her research and the contribution that it can make to our profession. Her line of inquiry made me think of Shirley Brice Heath's Ways with words and "junk talk" in the African American community. It is fascinating how she describes the acquisition of language of two different ethnicities. We all talk about the profession of teaching preK-12 as being populated by predominately Caucasian females. As one myself, I am ever ready to learn more about the ethnicities that differ from my own. I can now look back to when I taught African Americans and how I did not understand why they said the things they did in the way that they did. Heath has helped shed light on a part of the African American culture to which I was ignorant. At least in that small mill town in North Carolina, African American children were taught to speak in metaphors, to embellish, and to challenge the listeners. This was part of their way with words. It was unlike the way in the Caucasian world that preached to "tell it like it is."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning of a new semester is lovely isn't it? Reading and writing are a joy at this time of year - before the workload seems to slightly suck the joy out of it!

    I have writing on the brain (because of a little reading I've been doing) and your comment about making connections struck me. I receive and write about 15 emails a day to colleagues on my PhD program, yet I never consider the kinds of connections I'm making with this sort of writing. As the semester moves on, I'm guessing I will feel a little trapped in my own personal world struggling with writing papers and hours of reading, but I think your point is important to remember: as educators even when we're stuck in difficult assignments alone, we have the ability, either through writing emails, letters, or verbally contacting others, to make connections and support one another. Lovely thought Liz! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the home and school connection is truly an area of literacy worth exploring further and expanding your lines of inquiry in this direction. I too, have become interested in the role of family literacy with adolscents. Most of the research I have read defines family literacy in terms of working with children ages 3-8. However, we need to be cognizant of the fact that middle school and high school students are often struggling readers, as well, or perhaps, just lacking motivation towards reading and writing. Being able to share their views and feelings with parents, or other adults (hence my interest in intergenerational book clubs), might be a way to address these reading and writing habits. I look forward to your findings this semester, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it is great to start all over with a new semester. I am a little anxious about this semester though with our big IRA conference coming up. It doesn't seem like there is enough time in a day and it's only the beginning of the third week!!!

    That candidate presentation process sounds very interesting. I plan on attending my first one on Monday morning. It seems an audience will be a distraction, but I guess a candidate must be ready for just that.

    I also totally agree with you about the making connections with your students. If we do not make connections, students probably will not be actively engaged within our classrooms. Besides, why bother having a teacher in the classroom if you're not going to make those connections-why not just hire a robot/computer to teach the students!!! :(

    ReplyDelete